Sunday, December 7, 2008

Irony is not for the masses

Why would a "Good & Green Showhouse" have an outdoor courtyard with a gas fireplace? I was reassured by the guide in the house that it was a very efficient gas fireplace. And really, you know, when it gets chilly, wouldn't it be nice to have a nice efficient source of heat? And here I am, thinking that going green was about living within your environment's means. If it gets cold, I was thinking of putting on another layer and going into my house that is currently being heated anyway. Good thing I went through the house. I was worrying that I would have to make these sacrifices to save the world. I am so naive. The whole time, I could be comfortable outside in the fall, in Minnesota, if only I heated the air around me with a natural gas powered flame machine, my conscience being soothed by the fact that this direct-vent machine is so efficient.

Never mind the fact that I am literally heating the globe.

No comments: